Listen to Fantasy Sports on internet talk radio

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Favre Leaves Camp and other tidbits

Continuing our last story on this, Brett Favre has now left Packers camp and will be meeting - along with his family - with GM Ted Thompson later. Some earlier reports via The Sports Network have pegged him as once again asking for his outright release, something that likely won't happen and would - as I have said - would be akin to assisted career suicide for Thompson. Adam Shefter over at NFLN reported yesterday that the Bucs were still talking with the Packers about a possible trade, so perhaps the meeting will involve something along those lines. Shefter feels that the Bucs trade or retirement are the only choices. As rumors have said the discussions yesterday with Favre and McCarthy centered on team unity and avoiding an ugly lockerroom situation, he may be right.

I say Favre should take the trade, if he really wants to play. I also think the Packers should try to make a deal as best they can and be flexible in what they want for Favre so he has a selection of choices.

The sad thing is, something tells me that this brouhaha has probably so sapped Favre of energy and desire that he migth just walk away. And as much as I think a lot of his actions here in this have been badly executed and thought out, I think that would be too bad. Favre wants to play - somehow that shouldn't be THIS hard to make happen.

In other news --
Jacksonville Jaguars
The wide receiver situation in Jacksonville is no clearer despite the current depth chart. With Porter and Williams out, Troy Williamson and Dennis Northcutt are the first team, while Mike Walker and Matt Jones are second team. I still have hopes for Walker, though not as high - being on Jones' squad isn't a ringing endorsement. However, HC Jack Del Rio has spoken well of Jones' effort in camp. So you never know.

I've said this before but this is like the Pats prior to last year, only with less yards. It's going to be hard to know who will get yards consistently and while Garrard will be an effective starter (though not a dynamic one) for fantasy teams, no receiver here will be good enough, often enough to be better than a #3, at best. But the offense overall should be pretty effective, regardless of who catches the ball when.

New Orleans Saints
Reggie Bush is going to get some opportunity to return punts again, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune . Still, he won't do it that often, though he might make for a few really impressive run backs. Meanwhile, Pierre Thomas is "competing for a lot of touches" according to Head Coach Sean Payton, via the Baton Rouge Advocate . Thomas is a guy I have been touting all off season and with Deuce returning from another knee injury and Thomas impressing last season, expect the guy to get a good amount of touches.

More from the article:
"He has good vision and good balance," Payton said. "He’s a guy that has proven that you can hand him the ball more than 15 or 20 times in a game and he can carry the load."
That's a good sign if you happened to have snagged him when I told you to for your Dynasty Teams. I think he will compliment Bush very well and he certainly looks to take over for McAllister, who is nearing the end of being a useful full time back.

New York Giants
I don't normally want to call out other Fantasy Guys, especially those I don't know. And in all fairness I can't recall who said it. But I did a little reading in Alaska and out of curiosity, I read some Fantasy Football magazines. I don't do magazines. At the Journal last year, we did an online one that updated weekly. I read Footballguys, in part because I know so many people involved and I like what they do. I read Pro Football Weekly's for the excellent team breakdowns. This year, I picked up ESPN's as well.

I won't critique it much here, but will point out once again my frustration with some of the content there. So late in their mock draft (which was allegedly done in 45 minutes - thanks guys, good job being thorough - and with little explanation of any picks), in the final round in fact, one guy picks up Mario Manningham. He touts the pick, how clever he is. Manningham is great!

Manningham is also the only rookie WR taken. You know, over James Hardy, Devin Thomas, Limas Sweed - or what I like to call 'Guys who can contribute maybe this year'. Manningham - behind the likes of Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer and Steve Smith.

The same Manningham who today, according to the New York Post , has bleeding in his strained quad. Thats' bad and it could put him on the PUP, if not IR if it's bad enough.

Which just goes to show you that you ALWAYS need to use your own judgement and use the mags and everyone's opinions online and everywhere else to help form your own. Anyone reading this column is unlikely to have made that pick - because you probably know the upside of the other rookies and you pay attention. It ain't that hard.

But I look back at that mock and shake my head even harder at the $7 or whatever that I spent. Thank God I get to write it off next year.

More later....

No comments: