Listen to Fantasy Sports on internet talk radio

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

DON'T SLEEP ON THIS SLEEPER

As I have said on The Audible, the FFReport and wrote here, I am high on Buffalo Bills rookie WR Steve Johnson.

He's gotten mostly good press in Buffalo for the OTAs (save for allegedly being in Marshawn Lynch's car during the now infamous hit and run) and the team seems high on him. According to Rotoworld.com, the Bills have already signed him to a multi-year contract. Not bad for a 7th rounder who has many people wondering why he dropped so far.

I'm glad I'm not out on an island anymore on this guy. And I'm telling you Dynasty owners and Bills fans not to sleep on him just because of the 7th round tag. He's much, much better than that.

Rotoworld posits he might even push presumptive starter and fellwo rookie James Hardy for snaps. Another thing I have said more than once.

Along with the other Draftguys, I was able to attend some private workouts for players like Steve who were prepping for Drafts and Pro Days and like them, I came away impressed.

Great balance, ball control, leaping and clutch ability don't even tell the whole story. His timed speed is meh but he plays much quicker than he times.

I also think back to last winter, when Johnson's teammate, Kentucky quarterback Andre Johnson, was starting his Draft freefall. As the Senior Bowl was taking place, a few murmurs surfaced that maybe Woodson was benefiting from phenomenal wide reciever play, rather than visa versa.

Now, there are a ton of reasons Andre Woodson collapsed. I think Martz's offense was too much for him (Mike Martz was the QB coach on Woodson's side during Senior Bowl week). It certainly put that big, slow delivery into perspective. But I think there is some validity to the notion that a good reciever core might have made him look better than he was.

If that's the case - and I'm not saying it toally is, but I think there is something to it - you can't overlook what Johnson is capable of.

I'm not saying he's a surefire starter this season. But I think in the next few years, you might get a glimpse of something better than a 7th round pick.

Keep an eye on him - I know I will.

Questions, comments and concerns can also be sent to ThunderingBlurb@gmail.com....

No comments: