Listen to Fantasy Sports on internet talk radio

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

THE SKY IS FALLING and other Manning News


Hey from overcast and chilly - but beautiful - Alaska! To the left, feel free to gaze at the lovely Alaskan Mountain range off the coast of Homer where I went deep sea fishing for Halibut yesterday - caught two in fact. My nephew caught one bigger than he was - he's about 4ft tall so maybe that isn't as impressive as it sounds. But it outweighed him too. Gorgeous scenery though, huh?

We were out on the boat when I actually heard QB news that wasn't about Brett Favre.

After I picked myself up off the floor from that, I stopped to analyze what is now the biggest off-season story of the moment - Peyton Manning's surgery on his knee to remove an infected bursa sac. I think that's what started Marvin Harrison's knee woes last year, and if that's the case I can see the panic. (Especially for the owner in one auction league of mine who just bought Manning for $120. YIPES)

However, my Fantasy Football thought is this - there is every indication he'll be ready for week one. I wouldn't panic. Further, I would not waste my time drafting Jim Sorgi. Far better to make sure your #2 QB is a safe and secure choice - someone like Garrard or Rivers, who can stand up over the course of a season. It's not that Sorgi is useless - it's more that we can't count on him to put up Manning numbers if Manning goes down. And I would rather grab a solid long shot 3rd QB (take a flier on JaMarcus Russell for example) than reach to get Sorgi because I am feeling worried about Manning.

If you grab Manning, just be sure to grab a solid #2. If you can get Sorgi, great, but I wouldn't pull him early.

The fact is, Manning will probably play. You want to cover yourself, sure, but I'm not torching the town in a panic right now, and neither should you.

If anything, this may drop him in drafts, which could make it the only time he's been a value in a long time.

I may be back with more news this week - assuming Halibut fishing doesn't call again before the wedding I'm here for.

No comments: